My Top 1000 Songs #168: Erica's Word
- Nifty chord progression with some unexpected changes? Check.
- Jangly guitars? Check.
- Snappy snare drum echo? Check.
- Gentle verses breaking loose into a triumphant, endlessly hummable chorus? Check.
- Relentlessly clever rhymes? Check.
- Rousing solo (to my ears a callback to Nick Lowe's comparably artful "So It Goes")? Check.
And, yeah, Miller's arty tendencies are here, particularly in the almost Stipe-like verses, hopelessly vague and intermittently indecipherable; but then you hit the chorus and it's sing-along time. "Erica's word, taking me clear and leaving me blurred. Knocking me down from second to third." We've been there, buddy.