Weekend Interlude: What Are My Friends Playing on Spotify?
Taking a brief break from the daily album review. Spotify lets me see what all my Facebook friends are listening to right now (or listened to most recently). Let's take a quick look:
- Cliff (cousin): Hugh Jackman singing "From Now On" from The Greatest Showman, a movie I have steadfastly avoided notwithstanding my daughter's protestations. This is surprisingly inoffensive, reminds me of something by Fun as reinterpreted by the cast of Glee.
- Kent (guy I've traded music with online): The Everly Brothers, "Mama Tried." I'm familiar with the Grateful Dead version, haven't heard this before. It's really nice; great harmonies, of course.
- Marc S. (college friend): Childish Gambino, "Feels Like Summer." I loved Donald Glover in Community, haven't really kept up with his other ventures. This is kinda cool. Feels like I'm at the pool at a W Hotel.
- Ron (high school friend): Kenny Loggins, "Danger Zone." Uh... why???? Afraid to ask.
- Alyssa (second-born child): Pierce Brosnan singing something from Mamma Mia!. I need to get this girl some new music.
- Erik (college roommate): The New Pornographers, "The Bleeding Heart Show" (off one of my Spotify playlists). Always appreciate Erik checking out my playlists. Best song ever (or way up there).
- Joyce (friend from my early MoFo days): Adam Levine, "Lost Stars." Look, I'm not gonna pretend that Begin Again (the movie and the soundtrack) isn't a guilty pleasure. But I can do without Adam Levine; I'll take the Keira Knightly version in a heartbeat.
- Josh (other offspring): Masego, "Old Age." Decent enough R&B, if a little bland. Think I heard this at the mall.
- Liz (high school friend): KC & The Sunshine Band, "Boogie Shoes." Hopefully there's a good story that goes along with this selection?
- Sarah (Cliff's wife): James Arthur, "Say You Won't Let Go." I don't know who this is. Sounds like something a suburban couple would use as one of the songs accompanying their wedding video slideshow. (I used the Replacements' "When It Began," but that took some negotiating.)
- Jeff (another cousin): Wilco, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)." I still love this song.